Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Misogyny: Bond and Barbie Pop-Tarts

This past weekend, Jenn and I went to see Quantum of Solace at the Boyd Theatre. Reading from reviews that this movie was a bit less sensual than some of the prior movies, Jenn went with me to give Bond another shot. As in all Bond movies, we were greeted with a pleasurable movie with action, quick thinking, and lots of explosions. However, like all Bond movies before, we were also greeted in the intro with silhouettes of naked women appearing out of sand and dancing provocatively. Personally, I was surprised that the MPAA managed to stamp a PG-13 on that.

A couple of weeks prior, Jenn bought a pack of Printed Fun Barbie Pop-Tarts (Wildberry flavor) from Ollie's Bargain Outlet. She loves wildberry pop-tarts and Ollie's sells them cheap. One breakfast, Jenn and I were running late, so we decided to break out the pop-tarts. There's only so much a person can do with Red #40, Blue #1 and 2, and Yellow #5, but somehow Kellogg managed to turn a picture on a pop-tart into something that at first glance looks racy. For instance, Jenn's pop-tart had a picture of Barbie supposedly holding a bouquet of flowers; however, due to the lack of detail, it more looked like Barbie wearing lingerie with bling sparkles over her chest.

What can I say about this phenomenon? Should I be surprised? Not really. You hear all the time that our culture is super-saturated with sexual images, but it's not just the banter of conservative fundamentalists. Unfortunately, it's a reality that you can observe everywhere: from the streets of Allentown to the classroom, and even in the cartoons your children may watch. As I walk down the streets of Allentown on my way to my car from work, I've witnessed guys eying down girls as they walk home from school. Occasionally, I hear a cat call or two. And worst of all, I keep seeing 16 year old girls walking down the street with strollers or growing bellies.

Do you think that there will ever be a day where women aren't so objectified in society? I'm looking for the right answer, but I just don't know anymore.

No comments: